1 November 2011

Back to Blackboard: the Webinars

Apps in Action for Reluctant Readers:
I had completely forgotten the option of listening to audiobooks (although the price tag probably helped me forget).  Cliffs Notes to Go look great for older students, as well as the vBookz.  I love the option of scanning my own docs into the app using the Stanza software.  Thanks for sharing the samples of animated and interactive books, very engaging giving control to readers!  I'm looking forward to trying Story Builder and checking out some University Podcasts in iTunes.


Apps in Action for Reluctant Writers:
I'm anxious to try iThoughts as organization is a major challenge for many of my students.  Instant poetry looks fun for all and should not intimidate students why balk from poetry.  I'm trying strip designer now with a few students and they are sold- but still require a lot of support with organizing thoughts into a story, regardless of the genre.  I can't wait to get images of Flat Stanley in Nova Scotia circulating without mail!  I rely heavily on DocstoGo so I don't have to load memory sticks or sign into Dropbox to make my work more portable amongst computers.  You can see previous posts about Pictello and Reel Director.  I'm surprised Voice Memo needs to be downloaded onto the iPad as it is a default app on the iPhone.  Dragon Dictation has had VERY mixed results, depending on whose voice is using it, and depending on how long it takes to get the website unlocked by your school board!  Its not nearly as simple for a student to compose as expected.  Speakit is amongst legions of text to speech apps.  I can see storyteller, the writing toolkit, and story cubes supporting idea generation but with older students than I work with.  Story builder looks helpful for cause and effect, question and answer, and inferencing.  Write Pad is neat, but many people type faster than they write now don't they?  Tiki Notes requires a LOT of key strokes, but looks helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment